Additional $50,000 Exemption for persons 65 years of age and over.

Every person who is eligible for the Homestead Exemption is eligible for an additional exemption up to $50,000 under the following circumstances: (1) The county or municipality adopts an ordinance that allows the additional exemption which applies ONLY to the taxes levied by the unit of government granting the exemption; (2) The taxpayer is 65 years of age or older on January 1 of the year for which the exemption is claimed; (3) The annual household income of the taxpayer (defined as adjusted gross income as defined in s. 62, United States Internal Revenue Code of all members of a household) for the prior year does not exceed $36,614. On January 1 of each year, this income threshold is adjusted by the percentage change in the average cost-of-living index. We will inform you on this website as soon as we receive the new income amount which is reported to us typically in January.

An additional exemption is available if you have lived in your home for 25 years, you are age 65 or older on or before January 1 of the current year, and your adjusted gross income does not exceed the income limitation for the calendar year.The market value of your home needs to be less than $250,000 to be eligible for this exemption. This exemption only affects the county’s portion of your tax bill. If you believe that you are entitled to this exemption, you must file in our office by March 1.

Total household income means the adjusted gross income of all members of a household.We will use the adjusted gross income amount reported on the IRS Form 1040 or 1040A tax return from the previous year. If applicant does not file an IRS return, the applicant will need to bring all 1099’s for the previous year. This includes 1099’s from Social Security, pensions, interest from banks, and any other miscellaneous income.

First time applicants will need to apply in person at our office. You will need to bring in proof of age. (Drivers license or Birth Certificate) All applicants must already have filed for the original Homestead Exemption before receiving the Senior Exemption.

Senior Exemption applications are taken year round, but you must be 65 years of age by January 1st of the year you are applying and the deadline to file is always March 1.


Beginning January 1, 2022 Seniors who have already applied for and were granted this exemption for the prior year will receive a renewal card in the mail. Your Senior Exemption renewal will be on the same card as the Homestead Receipt Card. Do not send this card back unless you want the Exemption removed.

You do not need to bring in income documents for the prior year unless the Property Appraiser requests such documents. If we request your income documents for the prior year, they will need to be in our office by June 1. If you have any questions or concerns, please call our office and the Exemptions Department will be happy to help you.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Does my adjustment gross income calculations include my Social Security benefits?

A. Most of time it does not. If you are single and 1/2 of your social security benefits plus your other taxable income is $25,000 to $32,000, then 50% of your social security benefits would be included. If you are married and 1/2 of your social security benefits plus your other taxable income is $32,000 to $44,000, then 50% of your social security benefits would be included.

Q. Do both of us have to be 65 years of age to qualify?

A. If this is a husband and wife situation, then only one needs to be 65 years of age to qualify.

Q. Do I have to have my current income tax statement completed before I can file for this exemption?

A. NO! New applicants must file for this exemption on or before March 1st of the current year. You will then have until June 1st of the current year to bring in your income documents. Florida Law states that the Property Appraiser may not grant this exemption without the required documentation. Please remember that June1st is the deadline for all income documentation.

Q. The IRS told me that I do not have to file an income tax return because my income is too low. How do I prove to you my adjusted gross income?

A. You will need to bring in to our office copies of all your 1099’s for the prior year. You will be asked to sign an 8821 Form from the IRS giving our office permission to verify your income information from the IRS. We have a SeniorExemption Specialist to help you complete this information when you come in to our office.

Q. Do I have to file for this exemption every year?

A. No! After the initial application year, you will be sent a renewal receipt card. Do not return this card unless you want us to remove the exemption. If you want the exemption removed, you must return the card back to us by May 1st.

Q. I can’t find my Birth Certificate and I don’t drive, how do I prove my age?

A. Florida Law lists documents that should be considered sufficient proof of age. Certified copy of birth certificate, Florida driver’s license, Baptismal Certificate, displaying full name and date of birth, copy of life insurance policy that has been in effect for at least two years, marriage certificate, showing a full name and date of birth, Passport, Permanent Resident Card, (formerly known as Alien Registration Card), any other official and/or certified record or document that demonstrates the applicant’s true age to the satisfaction of the Property Appraiser. Only one of these documents is needed to prove your age.

Q. How do I prove that I have lived in my home for 25 years?

A. If you have had a Homestead Exemption for 25 years, we will be able to confirm it by our records in this office. If you have not had an exemption for 25 years, you will have to prove it by other documentation.

If you have any questions or concerns about any exemptions please feel free to contact us in person, by phone (386)313-4150, by fax (386)313-4151, or by email ([email protected])